SOAR® Learning & Soft Skills Curriculum for Special Education
The #1 complaint from SPED teachers is that students don’t understand their “challenges.” They don’t believe in themselves. They feel “stupid” and become apathetic towards their potential.
This can all change. Quickly!
How Special Education Students Can Succeed… Quickly & Without Frustration
There are four primary ways to make fast, forward momentum with special ed students. In fact, these steps can catapult students past many of their gen ed peers! They include:
- Build confidence through understanding the brain biology of learning and their learning “challenge.” Share the Brain Biology of Learning videos with your students frequently, until they’ve internalized how much power they have to build detours around their challenges!
- Match teaching to how the brain works. When we align instruction to the brain, many challenges disappear.
- Leverage the 80/20 Principle. Teach the “top 20%” of the skills that will have more than 80% impact on learning success!
- Teach relevant skills for workplace success. The “top 20%” of skills referenced in Step 3, above, are also the most IN-DEMAND skills of the workplace.
The “Top 20%” Most Valuable Skills
The “Top 20” skills include knowing how to:
- Identify students’ strengths & “SuperPowers” (according to Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences)
- Set goals
- Establish priorities
- Manage time
- Organize papers, desks, lockers, & other space
- Speak & listen effectively
- Work with teachers & peers
- Read and understand textbooks
- Take notes
- Study for tests
- Write research papers
- Prepare for presentations
- Track long-term goals
“How Can I Possibly Manage All of This?”
You could spend hours researching, planning, and organizing everything you need to accomplish the four steps and teach the “top 20%” skills listed above. But, you don’t have to…
We’ve done all the work for you! We’ve applied 80/20 to isolate the most effective learning strategies that just happen to correlate to:
- The most needed skills in the workplace.
- The Common Core Anchor Standards.
SOAR® Learning & Soft Skills Is PROVEN to:
- Make “struggling” students 6X more likely to graduate from college!
- Increase GPAs of an entire student body by more than ONE full point!
- Raise standardized test scores by 5 basis points!
- Cut missing assignments by 50%!
- Increase students’ confidence by 20%!
- Cut teacher’s time and reduce stress.
- Help teachers feel more effective.
- Reduce student resistance.
Resources to Minimize Teacher’s Stress
SOAR® Learning and Soft Skills was built to accommodate these steps with minimal burden on the teacher. All curriculum packages include our very popular Multi-Media Teacher’s Guide and your choice of student software licenses (SOAR App) and/or student workbooks…
The Multi-Media Teacher’s Guide (MMTG)
The MMTG is included in all curriculum packages. It includes:
- Ready-to-go lesson plans.
- 240+ done-for-you slides with interactive visuals for guiding instruction.
- Multiple assessments.
- Clean, bright, colorful presentation. Great for visual learners.
- Additional online resources tie the SOAR® strategies to the “real-world.”
- A lot of support! Comprehensive instructor support is included.
The MMTG is intended for guiding instruction and group discussion. You can project the slides for students or simply use them for your own prompting. The MMTG is “smart-board” friendly, however, a smart-board is not required for use.
“The Teacher’s Guide is very user-friendly and convenient. My students like the language and identify with the skills they need to work on as they go through high school.”
– Meghan S., Intervention Specialist
“Thank you so much for this valuable resource! I’m teaching a new study skills course this year. The (resources) you provide are invaluable. These materials are lifesavers… literally!”
The App (Web-Based Software) for Students
The software app is for students and is designed for independent use. However, the content in the app also correlates with the Multi-Media Teacher’s Guide for additional instructional support.
The App is accessible from any device connected to the internet, including: iPad, PC, Mac, Android, Kindle Fire, and iPhone devices.
The app includes:
- Multi-media instruction, presented with a variety of text, videos, and interactions.
- Content that is relevant to students’ current school experiences.
- Optional audio narration for reading support.
- Frequent “interactions” to promote engagement, check understanding, and provide immediate feedback.
- Badges and certificates awarded at various levels of completion.
- Quiz assessments collected and reported for teacher access.
The App is designed to deliver independent, “stand alone” instruction. However, it is optimal for teachers to serve in a “coaching” roll after students complete lessons in the app. As a “coach,” teachers can guide students through implementation of the skills and strategies learned in the app.
The App is a wonderful way to use a “flipped classroom” model! Simply assign lessons for students to complete independently. The nature of the software allows students to engage with the content at their own pace and get immediate feedback. Then, follow-up with group discussions and “coaching” sessions to help students practice the skills and strategies. This order of presentation (software, then discussion) is the optimal way to promote student engagement and maximize long-term retention.
The Student Workbook
If you prefer, student workbooks are available. The 150-page workbooks include all core content for students and are correlated to the Multi-Media Teacher’s Guide.
The App & Student Workbook Combination License
About 70- 80% of the schools using SOAR© purchase a combination license. They like to have their students learn the content through the software because of the interactions and immediate feedback. However, they also like having the books available for reference during coaching and implementation sessions. The “combo” license is very affordable, so you may wish to consider this option.
100% Money-Back Guarantee
We guarantee that your students will experience the following improvements:
- +0.5 increase in GPA
- 20% improvement in student confidence and attitude, as measured by the pre and post Study Skills Scorecard
- 30% reduction in missing assignments
…if the program is used with fidelity, or we will issue you a full refund for your purchase. For more details, click here.
How to Purchase
For less than 100 students, use our pricing calculator. (Calculator is at the bottom of the page.)
For more than 100 students, please submit a quote request. A quick, no-hassle quote will be generated promptly and returned to you within 24 business hours.