What Is Covered in the SOAR® Curriculum?
The SOAR® Learning & Soft Skills Curriculum for College & Career Readiness (aka SOAR Study Skills Curriculum) teaches the most critical learning, organizing, and communication skills needed to be successful in school and in the workplace. Those skills include:
- Identify students' strengths & “SuperPowers” (according to Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences)
- Set goals
- Establish priorities
- Manage time
- Organize papers, desks, lockers, & other space
- Speak & listen effectively
- Work with teachers & peers
- Read and understand textbooks
- Take notes
- Study for tests
- Write research papers
- Prepare for presentations
- Track long-term goals
Skills That Make an “80%” Impact!
The 80/20 Principle is a law of the universe; it states that 80% of impact will come from only 20% of your efforts. “Soft skills” and “study skills” are the CORE 20% of skills that are the foundation of life-long learning success.
SOAR® has always been focused on delivering the most relevant skills for success in the classroom, and in life. So, it’s no coincidence that the skills covered in SOAR® match the top needs of employers, as noted in dozens of employer surveys. It’s also no surprise that SOAR® covers 100% of the Common Core Anchor Standards for college and career readiness.
The Three Criteria for Being Student-Friendly
The author and developer of SOAR®, Susan Kruger, M.Ed., is a former struggling student. So, she is extremely sensitive about providing materials that will work for students. Especially for struggling students! All strategies presented in SOAR® must pass her three filters for being “student-friendly”…
- Strategies must be effective. Obviously! Susan didn’t go into this mission to waste students’ time or generate more frustration. Strategies must work. Period.
- Strategies must be efficient. It is natural, human-nature is to seek the shortest path to a solution. This is especially true for students who are stressed or frustrated! (Which is nearly all students!) With this in mind, we are very strict about seeking the most efficient paths for organizing, learning, and communicating.
- Strategies must apply across content areas. A quick internet search on “study skills” or “soft skills” will yield over 60 million results! Yet, everything you’ll find is a hodge-podge of complication that only confuses students. We stick to strategies that are universal -across all subject areas– so students can be very clear and take their own initiative for success with learning!
Strategies Aligned to the Brain
Through her two decades of work with students and extensive research Susan developed a revolutionary model … The Brain Circuit Model™, for understanding how to develop appropriate organizing and learning strategies:
What Grades/Subjects Use this Curriculum?
Regardless if students are in 6th grade or a senior in college, the types of academic tasks they have to do are all the same. Therefore, the strategies in the SOAR® Study Skills & SOAR® Learning & Soft Skills Curriculum are appropriate for:
- Upper elementary
- Middle school
- High school
However, some skills are not age-appropriate for mastery at younger levels. (We still recommend exposing students to these skills at lower levels.)
See our Grade-Level Continuum for a full outline of age-appropriate mastery levels.
What Materials Are Included?
All curriculum packages include an optional license for a set of student workbooks and/or set of student app licenses along with our Multi-Media Teacher’s Guide:
SOAR® Multi-Media Teacher’s Guide
The Multi-Media Teacher’s Guide (MMTG) is a complete resource kit!
- Ready-to-go lesson plans.
- 240+ done-for-you slides with interactive visuals for guiding instruction.
- Multiple assessments.
- Clean, bright, colorful presentation. Great for visual learners.
- Additional online resources tie the SOAR strategies to the “real-world.”
- A lot of support! Comprehensive instructor support is included.
“The Teacher’s Guide is very user-friendly and convenient. My students like the language and identify with the skills they need to work on as they go through high school.”
– Meghan S., Intervention Specialist
“Thank you so much for this valuable resource! I’m teaching a new study skills course this year. The (resources) you provide are invaluable. These materials are lifesavers… literally!”
– Deb P., Middle School Teacher
SOAR® Student Workbook
Our award-winning workbook guides students through the core strategies with practical application. Each section is written in a clear, succinct, and professional manner. The book includes many visuals and diagrams to provide support for struggling readers and enriched examples for more advanced students.
“I was getting C’s and D’s. Now I’m getting A’s and B’s! I learned how to be organized and how to study… it has made such a difference!” – Katie H., 11th grade student
“I am reading chapters in my textbooks now! It’s really easy and really helps me study for tests!” – Keith Schwartz, 6th grade student
SOAR® Student App
The app covers the entire SOAR® Learning & Soft Skills workbook, presented as a self-guided course.
The Online App Includes:
✓ Interactive content/games, providing immediate feedback
✓ “How-to” videos, illustrating strategies
✓ Fully narrated slides, for reading support
✓ Quizzes/assessments, to ensure understanding of material
✓ Badges & certificates awarded for achievements
✓ Easy access from any computer or mobile device
Who Uses SOAR®?
SOAR® is in over 4,000 schools across the country and 35 countries, worldwide!
See our SOAR Map, with an updated list of schools using SOAR®.
What Does the SOAR® Curriculum Cost?
See curriculum licensing packages, here.
How Do I Get Started?
See our Implementation Guide for tips on getting started. The Implementation Guide provide tips on managing your schedule, pacing instruction, and suggests for getting staff on board.
Contact us! Our friendly curriculum consultants are on-hand and happy to answer your questions.