NEW SS MLP
Congratulations! You’ve found it… A ready-to-go Social-Emotional Learning curriculum that builds emotional intelligence in students.
Your Students NEED a Social-Emotional Learning Curriculum (like yesterday)!
What Is “SEL” and Why Is It Important?
Social-Emotional Learning (SEL), also known as Emotional Intelligence, is about understanding one’s self and others. It includes skills such as:
- Awareness of our emotions
- Managing our emotions and our interactions with others
- Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with others
- Making responsible decisions
Why is SEL important? The better question might be, “In what ways is ‘SEL’ NOT important?”
Our emotions influence absolutely everything about how we experience life; the emotional center of the brain is the first region to receive and process all incoming information. That means…
Every element of information entering our brain first runs through the filter of our emotions. It continues to boggle our minds why society, and especially the field of education, systematically disregard the importance of “emotions.”
Meanwhile, as humans, we are built to be social creatures. Therefore, our relationships with others are extremely critical to our survival. In fact, in cases of extreme hunger and harsh conditions, people with strong social connections are known to fare much better.
For this reason, it’s no surprise that there is a high correlation between students with strong social-emotional skills and performance in school.
Here’s What We Cover…
The SOAR® SEL Curriculum is organized into the following framework:
(S)elf: Developing awareness of self: strengths and limitations, identifying/understanding emotions, and managing emotions, stress, and anxiety, to become a strong and confident individual.
(O)thers: Developing social awareness of others’ perspectives and emotions, while also appreciating diverse backgrounds and cultures to become empathetic towards others.
(A)lign: Developing the skills to build positive relationships through communicating, negotiating conflict, and supporting others (while also reducing bullying).
(R)esponsibility: Developing the skills to make decisions for positive impacts on self and others, while also considering the role of ethics and professionalism in the real world.
Why SOAR® Works
SOAR® SEL Skills consistently deliver effective results for students because the strategies are:
- Aligned to the human brain,
- Built to be student-friendly, and
- Deliberately designed to function in the “real world.”
SEL Strategies Aligned to the Brain
Through her two decades of work with students and extensive research, Susan Kruger, M.Ed. developed a revolutionary model… The Motivation Circuit™ identifies how emotions are an on/off switch for the brain. Without this understanding, and knowing how to handle it, most people find themselves “trapped” by their emotions.
Understanding brain biology is key to building strong emotional intelligence….
SEL Strategies Are Built to Be Student-Friendly
SOAR® is extremely sensitive about providing materials that will work for students. All strategies presented in SOAR® SEL Skills must pass three filters for being “student-friendly”…
- SEL strategies must be effective. Obviously! We’re not on this mission to waste students’ time or generate more frustration. Strategies must work. Period.
- SEL strategies must be simple and accessible. It is human-nature is to seek the simplest, effective path to a solution. This is especially true when we’re stressed or frustrated! With this in mind, we are very strict about helping students seek the simplest, most accessible and relatable path for understanding themselves and others.
- SEL strategies must be delivered with respect. As students are navigating the path to adulthood, they have many questions and can benefit from wisdom. But, too often, condescending language such as “take it from an adult,” or “when you grow up you should…,” immediately turns students away. SOAR® educates students by “speaking” to them with respect (No condescension!), building-up their strengths, and communicating in a manner that honors the unique spirit of each individual. Students find this approach motivating and encouraging.
All Strategies Address the “Real World”
Students can easily detect what is “real” and what is “fake.” Every lesson that SOAR® SEL Skills presents, includes real, honest, relatable people, stories, situations, and strategies. Students immediately recognize the SOAR® curriculum to be genuine and approachable. All lessons address real, everyday environments, situations, and events.
What Grades/Subjects Use this Curriculum?
The SOAR® Social-Emotional Curriculum is designed to cover CORE social-emotional skills that apply across age-levels. The content is written with an easy-going yet professional tone; it is accessible to middle-school students, yet relevant to adults.
Regardless if students are in 6th grade or a senior in college, the types of social-emotional skills are all the same. Therefore, the strategies in the SOAR® SEL Curriculum are appropriate for:
- Upper elementary*
- Middle school
- High school
*Some skills are not age-appropriate for mastery at younger levels. (We still recommend exposing students to these skills at lower levels.)
SOAR® SEL has masterfully identified the essential, 80/20 SEL skills that create strong, competent, and supportive individuals. Plus, when students focus on the most essential skills, they also develop mastery, which leads to years of successful learning outcomes in school and even into the workplace.
What Materials Are Included?
All SEL curriculum packages include:
- The SOAR Multi-Media Teacher’s Guide
- Student licenses, available in three formats:
- Software licenses
- Combo (software licenses + workbooks)
About the SOAR® SEL Multi-Media Teacher’s Guide
The Multi-Media Teacher’s Guide (MMTG) is a complete resource kit!
- Ready-to-go SEL lesson plans.
- Done-for-you slides in a teacher presentation for guiding instruction in SEL.
- Multiple assessments, articles, & SEL activities.
- Clean, bright, colorful presentation. Great for visual learners.
- Additional online resources tie the SOAR strategies to the “real-world.”
- A lot of support! Comprehensive instructor support is included.
“The Teacher’s Guide is very user-friendly and convenient. My students like the language and identify with the skills they need to work on as they go through high school.”
– Meghan S., Intervention Specialist
“Thank you so much for this valuable resource! I’m teaching a new soft skills course this year. The (resources) you provide are invaluable. These materials are lifesavers… literally!”
– Deb P., Middle School Teacher
About the SOAR® Student App
The online student app covers the entire SOAR® Social-Emotional Learning workbook, presented as a self-guided course.
The online software SEL app includes:
✓ Interactive content/games, providing immediate feedback
✓ “How-to” videos, illustrating strategies
✓ Fully narrated slides, for reading support
✓ Quizzes/assessments, to ensure understanding of material
✓ Badges & certificates awarded for achievements
✓ Easy access from any computer or mobile device
Who Uses SOAR®?
The SOAR® curriculum is used in thousands of schools.
What Does the SOAR® Curriculum Cost?
Explore curriculum pricing:
UNDER 100 Students? We provide pre-packaged curriculum options for classroom or “small program” adoptions, click here for more details.
Contact us! Our friendly curriculum consultants are on-hand and happy to answer your questions.